Sunday, December 13, 2009

For A Laugh

There are so many things you recall from your childhood only when you have your own child. Cartoons and TV shows you used to watch, books you used to read, games you used to play, all these memories come flooding back when you see your kid going through a certain age and time and want to share those things with him or her.

I used to love corny jokes. I still do but there was a time when a I had a repertoire of jokes at my fingertips. Some of which I only recalled after receiving the following SMS forward;
Can U Translate the following sntnce in a SINGLE ENGLISH WORD?
'Moti Aurat intezaar kr rahi hai'...
"MOTIVATING"

Since HRH is currently going through a knock-knock joke phase (most of whch are not funny) such as
Knock knock
Who's there?
Umm
Umm who?
Ammi!

Umm. Ok. You see what I mean?

He knows a few good ones too like
Knock knock
Who's there?
Deceit
Deceit who?
Deceit of your pants is wet!

And...

Knock knock
Who's there?
Keith
Keith who?
Keith me thweethheart!

But there is no such thing as not knowing enough corny jokes. The next few I intend to teach him are:

what did one pea say to the other?'
'nothing..it just muttered'

What did one flower say to the other?
Why do phools fall in love?

What's a vegetable's favorite love song?
Love me tinda!

What did the half eaten naan say?
I wish I was a poori

Why was the banana crying?
Cos he was a-kela!

These should be funny for a 4 year old, presumably. (I was 16 when I discovered these and I still thought they were hilarious!)

I was thrilled when HRH was a little older and I started showing him Sesame Street and all the classic Disney cartoons and movies like Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, Robin Hood and Peter Pan among many others, not to forget Tom and Jerry, Popeye and Pink Panther. The feeling you get when you find your child loving the same things as you did is really something amazing. To be able to introduce him to the joy you got out of reading a book or watching a movie or doing an activity so many years ago is an experience that cannot be put in words (though I'm trying).

That is not to say that I am blind to what's to come. I remember what an obnoxious teenager I was. How I thought my parents didn't know anything or 'understand' me. All that angst which honestly translated to being a rebel without a cause.

I think Mark Twain summed it up perfectly with "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

So while I await the day (Inshallah) that HRH thinks I know nothing, I will make lists of all the things I want him to see, read, watch and hear and hope that he enjoys them as much as I did.


2 comments:

  1. lovely post!
    yes, i know exactly what you mean. I have a 7 yr old son myself. It scares me how quickly time passes by... he'll be a teenager before i know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait till i can watch chitty chitty bang bang with my baby!!!

    ReplyDelete