Tuesday, April 19, 2011

An Irritable Hip & An Irritated Kid

HRH was diagnosed with an irritable hip. And I thought only bowels got irritable. So either a physical injury or an infection have led to the irritable left hip thanks to which HRH cannot stand or walk, let alone run around in the wild fashion he usually does. 

After a visit to the orthopedic doctor what was revealed was:

Physical injury/infection = irritable hip = rest for up to 2 weeks = only lying down or sitting = frustrated 5 year old = irritated parents = overall irritability (not just confined to hips)

Day 1 of bed rest-

Entertainment: iPad, Jurassic Park 3, George's Marvellous Medicine (the book, not the lethal concoction), some visitors

Number of escape attempts from bed made by HRH: 3 (thwarted due to lack of speed on his part. Can't get far while hobbling in pain)

HRH also took full advantage of being immobile by ordering all around to fetch him things. In fact he got a little too used to it - 
HRH: Get me my dinosaurs.
Me: Excuse me? What's the magic word?
HRH: Abracadabra.

----

Day 2 of bed rest -

Entertainment: iPad, Charlotte's Web (twice), George's Marvellous Medicine, some visitors, Tangled

Number of escape attempts from bed made by HRH: 2 (fewer thanks to having the pushchair taken out for his transportation as carrying a 5 year old will most likely result in an irritable back)

Side effect: HRH refuses to sleep till late at night due to lack of energy expulsion

HRH: Yay I don't have to go to school for many days!
Me: Yes but you will still do your school work at home

Later in the day -

HRH (sadly): I'm going to miss my school field trip to the zoo.

----

Day 3 of bed rest -

Entertainment: Jurassic Park (twice), The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me, Tangled, Princess and the Frog

Side effect: Suddenly feeling extra sick when told it's time to do homework
Me to HRH lying in bed (glazed-eyed from boredom): Let's do some homework now
HRH (suddenly interested in playing with pirate ship): But I'm playing
Me: No you aren't. You are just lying there looking bored, so let's do some Maths
HRH (pained expression): My leg hurts more now.

Also thank to Tangled we had to hear Flynn Rider's lines said sleazily all day -
HRH (with part wink and part smirk): "May I just say...hi..how you doin'? The name's Flynn Rider. How's your day going?"

----

Day 4 of bed rest -

Entertainment: Princess and the Frog, Kung Fu Panda, Esio Trot, some visitors

At 10 AM:
HRH: Oh man. I am very depressed and disappointed today.
Me: Why??
HRH: I am missing the fun thing at school today. My field trip.

----

Day 5 (allowed to walk slowly) -

Entertainment: Kung Fu Panda (twice), The Magic Finger, Tangled, Ice Age 3

HRH: I am a ruffian and a thug.
Me: What? No you're not.
HRH: I want to be so I don't have to go to school.
Me: I think you should stop watching Tangled.

Today the doctor allowed HRH to walk slowly as his leg seemed better. While running around and jumping is still not allowed, HRH being given permission to walk around the house is a relief for all (especially our spines). However, no school for another week. Only one person is pleased by this prospect.

----

Day 6 (allowed to walk slowly) -

Entertainment: Tangled, The Magic Finger, Madagascar 2

Number of times HRH has had to be stopped from running: Countless. Also had to be stopped from cycling thrice.

HRH (observing me while I was having a go with his get-well-soon present, a remote-controlled car): Baba and I are better drivers than you.

----

Day 7 (allowed to walk slowly) -

Entertainment: Mr. Men, The Brave Bunny, Sesame Street

HRH snuck upstairs, despite knowing he is not allowed to walk up stairs yet. On being asked why, he claimed he had forgotten the doctor's instructions. This has led to the use of a new threat - "...if you are well enough to take the stairs/jump around wildly/run madly, then you are well enough to go to school..." Result: HRH instantly calms down and obeys instructions for resting leg.

HRH to Faisal at bedtime: Can I read my book before bed?
Faisal: No you can't. Just go to sleep.
HRH: Why?
Faisal: Bus.
HRH: I want to hear a reason, not just 'bus'.

----

Day 8 (allowed to walk slowly) -

Entertainment: How to Train Your Dragon, Horrid Henry's Underpants, Tom and Jerry

HRH (inspecting pee stream): My pee is the color of Rapunzel's hair.

----

Day 9 (allowed to walk slowly) -

Entertainment: Toy Story 3, Horrid Henry's Underpants, random Cartoon Network shows

HRH (bobbing head to music): I'm head-bumping
Me: It's headbanging

----

Day 10 (allowed to walk slowly) -

Entertainment: Horrid Henry and the Football Fiend, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse,

HRH (waiting a number of minutes for pee to stop): Today my pee is as long as Rapunzel's hair.


Later during the day after wearing someone's sunglasses and a smirk: Hey, little lady

----

Day 11 (allowed to walk slowly) -

Entertainment: Toy Story 3, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Various masterpieces were also created which included:



HRH: When can I wear jeans instead of shorts? 
Me: When it's cooler..but right now it's going to get a lot hotter..
HRH: As hot as Hell?
Me: No Hell is much hotter
HRH: I hope I don't go to Hell
Me: I hope I don't either
HRH: I think you might cos you say bad words like when you are driving

----

Day 12 (allowed to walk slowly - who am I kidding? :/ ) -

Entertainment: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (twice)

After seeing me watch the Royal Wedding all day
HRH: When are you going to stop watching TV?
Me: I'm seeing a prince get married to his princess. You see them? They're getting married.
HRH: Yuck. I hate the word 'marry'. It makes me sick.

----

Day 13 (allowed to walk slowly - yeah right...) -

Entertainment: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (2.5 times)

HRH: You know I'm looking forward to going to school on Monday.
Me: (speechless from shock)

----

1 comment:

  1. I can't decide who is funnier-you or HRH:)
    hilarious!

    ReplyDelete